Friday, October 15, 2010

Loaded Language


Loaded Language is used in our everyday lives, whether it be intentional or unintentional. Some may take is or use it as a generalization or out of spite.
In the book, Loaded Language refers to words that strongly slant perceptions and thus meanings. For instance when referring to other peoples children as little brats, rather than Cindy's daughters.
I view loaded language as more of a lazy form of speech especially in the western culture.  But I also strongly agree and believe most of us use it in a negative way.

For instance, I remember when I was younger, my neighbor refereed to the older woman across the street as an "old hag," because she told his mother that he was trampling all over her grass when the gardeners had just come to plant more flowers for her. I understand why he had resented her and used loaded language, when he simply could have said, "The angry, older woman."


Here is a video of an excellent example of younger girls calling an elder "lady" and also saying they are faster because they are younger. So she turns the tables!! I love it!


3 comments:

  1. I loved the video clip! That was a great example of loaded language. I too, often hear loaded language in a negative context most of the time. My family tends to refer to my great grandfather and "crazy grandpa frank". Although this can be interpreted at playful, it is without a doubt loaded language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie from the clip is Awesome! Since your family uses loaded language with your grandfather, while still joking, Do you find yourself every using loaded language at work to describe any customers or co workers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT video clip!! excellent way to demonstrate loaded language.

    ReplyDelete