Friday, October 15, 2010

Interpersonal Communication: Stereotypes


As we read on Stereotypes we learn many things about how we perceive people or classify them. The word is actually explained as a predictive generalization applied to a person or situation. 

Therefore this explains that based on the category in which we place someone or something, and how that person or thing measures up against the personal construct we apply, we predict what he, she or it will do. (Wood)
I tend to stereotype only the certain things that are told to me over and over. For instance I personally think that stereotypes are just lazy generalizations, and old enough to know that have of them are not true based n my own experiences and willingness to not judge people or situations until I have experienced something first hand. 
However with this said, I tend to stereotype hispanic mechanics. Ever since I was a child I was told, pay the extra money and go to a corporate mechanic, this way if something happens or defaults there is usually a warranty or customer service expectation. I was always told to steer clear of not so reputable mechanic shops or one's where that are fully hispanic operated. 
I remember hearing stories such as, they will leave your vehicle in slightly unnoticeable conditions, or they do not really care as much, or they will switch out your newer car parts for older ones. We I am a weird person when it comes to my car, I can take it to the local Jiffy Lube, and for still some reason have trouble believing they actually changed my oil. My opinion is very clouded when it comes to car maintenance. 
Anyway, my suspicion became a reality when I was over at my grandmothers house explaining to her that I needed an oil change and would be on my way to get one later that afternoon. She said she had taken her car to a little shop down the street and the gentlemen working there were very nice and gave her a discount. So of course I take my car there, all the mechanics were hispanic, and they didn't even have a debit card machine. but I left it anyway. Two hours after I had already had my car, the oil change light goes on and the check engine light. My engine was slightly smoking and my car smelled like burnt gas. 
Oh no, I was mad. I called the place and they refused to refund my money. All they had to say was, "Well if your transmission blows, we do a great job here. Bring your car back!" There was no way in hell I was even bringing my car near that place ever again. To this day I have no clue why both of my check engine lights came one, I had to take it to Midas, to have it checked. It was unorganized and not very reassuring. 
This situation then validated my stereotype. And I try not to think so negatively, but maybe soon, I'll have a reason to assume better in a different way! 



3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with hispanic mechanics. I've had almost the exact opposite experience when dealing with mechanics. Since I was little my family and I have been going to a mechanic named John who happens to be hispanic. He works at a very small independent shop and is very friendly. He offers us generous estimates and deals on oil changes and car maintenance repairs. I usually go to John when I need my oil changed but his shop is located in southern Fontana and it was a bit out of the way for me. Instead, I visited my local JiffyLube and once I got on the freeway my car started to overheat and my engine caught on fire and had to be replaced. I went to John's to have him take a look to figure out the problem and JiffyLube put the wrong size cap on my oil and it drained all of the oil out of my car. I went back to JiffyLube with my Father and brought them the wrong size cap to show them that that they made a mistake. After threatening to sue them, JiffyLube gave me a used engine for my car. So while your experiences have led to some stereotypes in your life, my experience has caused me to form some prejudices of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like an awful experience. Good thing John fixed it! I do realize that not all mechanics are bad, and need to get that stereotype out of my system. I feel bad for feeling that way, but we all have an experience hahha. Do you ever find yourself stereotyping any group of people or events within your own race or culture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear baout your car. This makes me think twice about where I take my car to get fixed next time. But, not because I dont want hispanics working on my car, because it's very important to have a warranty when doing maintenance on something as expensive and important as a car. But to anser your question about stereotypes within my own race or culture, yes i have experience with that. Growing up as an Eritrean- American in the US, Im alwqays heard that Eritrean men were usually taxi drivers and that women were stay at home mom's. I am guilty of making such jokes as well, but now that i am grown and am educated I know that this is not true and that i am capable of much more. So now I am careful about making generalizations about other groups of people that are based on stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete